A complaint may be made about your behaviour if someone thinks you have not complied with the Real Estate Agents Act 2008, the regulations or the Code of Professional Conduct and Client Care.
We assess whether the complaint falls within our jurisdiction and if it does what the best way to deal with it is.
One of the following may happen:
- If the issue is outside of our jurisdiction, or is not a disciplinary matter under the Act, no further action will be taken. If possible we will refer the complainant to the appropriate agency to deal with their concern.
- We provide compliance advice.
- We suggest mediation - either REAA facilitation or external mediation.
- If the behaviour could be considered to be unsatisfactory conduct or misconduct and we think enforcement action may be required we will refer the complaint to a Complaints Assessment Committee.
- If the Complaints Assessment Committee believes misconduct may have occurred it can lay charges with the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal.
You can read more about our approach to industry compliance and how we deal with complaints in our information sheet
(.pdf 348 KB) about this.