Make a complaint

The Real Estate Agents Authority is responsible for dealing with complaints about licensed real estate agents. Contact us if you have a problem with an agent.

​We cannot intervene in a transaction – such as stopping a sale going through. You should consult your lawyer about this.
We also do not deal with any disputes regarding property management, unless the property manager is a licensed real estate agent and the behaviour could be misconduct.  If you think this is the case, please give us a call to discuss before you make your complaint.
If you are a tenant wanting to complain about your property manager, you should contact the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment​.
If you are a landlord you should contact the Disputes Tribunal

Call us before you fill in a complaint form

Call us on 0800 367 7322 or 04 471 8930 to discuss your concerns about an agent before you send us a complaint form. We can help you decide the best way to resolve your complaint.
Complaint form (.pdf 536KB)

You can also complain directly to the agent or agency

Real estate agencies are required to have written in-house procedures to deal with complaints.  We encourage you to talk about your complaint to the real estate agency concerned as this may be the quickest and easiest way to resolve the issue.
You can either raise your complaint with us or take it up with the agency first and contact us if you are not satisfied with the outcome.
Remember you can contact us at any stage about your complaint.

When should a complaint be made?

A complaint can be made about an agent if they have not complied with the Real Estate Agents Act 2008, the associated Regulations or the Code of Professional Conduct and Client Care.
The Code of Professional Conduct and Client Care (Code of Conduct) sets out the standards of professional competence and conduct that agents must follow. This can help you decide whether to make a complaint. 
Download the Code of Conduct 2012 (.pdf 152KB) 
If you are not sure whether to make a complaint, just give us a call to discuss your concern.

If you decide to make a complaint

We will assess the complaint and make a decision about the best way to deal with your complaint.